Purpose: Learn how to enable pickup returns so you can arrange to have a carrier collect a return parcel directly from your customer.
What are pickup returns?
A pickup return is a return method you can offer to your customers through the Return portal. Once enabled, customers will be able to request a carrier collect a parcel directly from their address to return to you. Your customers can easily arrange a pickup themselves via the Return portal.
The pickup return feature allows you to go the extra mile for your customers who can't easily access a parcel shop, or for parcels which are too large to return easily. Your customer doesn't even need to print out the return label - the driver who collects the return parcel will label it on their behalf.
Which carriers support pickup returns?
At the current time, we only support pickup returns for GLS customers in the Netherlands who have a direct carrier contract with GLS NL. Over time, we will be adding more carrier options to support this method.
GLS NL (direct contract only)
Once a pickup is arranged, the scheduled collection will take place the next working day between 9:00-17:00 for locations in the Netherlands**. Your customers will receive an email confirmation automatically from the Return portal confirming their pickup.
**If the return is announced after 17:00, the pickup will be scheduled two working days later. E.g. if you announce a pick up return at 5:10pm on a Wednesday, the pickup date will be Friday instead of Thursday.
Available shipping methods:
How can I enable pickup returns in my account?
- In your Sendcloud account, go to Settings > Returns
- Under the section Return method, tick the box Arrange a pick-up
- Scroll down to the section Enabled carriers and ensure you select a carrier which supports pickup returns (GLS NL)*
How can my customer request a pickup return?
If you have already activated your Return portal, customers will be able to select pickup return as a return option once they have entered their tracking number/order number and postcode and selected a return reason. You can find out more about how customers can make returns here.
- In the Return portal, select Arrange a pick-up from the list of options in the section How would you like to return
- On the Summary page, click Confirm
- The customer will see a Success page and receive an email confirmation which will confirm the pickup date (next working day).
- The pickup will now be scheduled for collection the next working day (GLS NL) (if scheduled before 17:00) between 9:00-17:00 and returned to the sender address. Once the pickup is confirmed, a more accurate pickup time will be communicated by the carrier by email to your customer.
- It's not necessary for your customer to print out the return shipping label when they schedule a return pickup with GLS NL. The driver who will perform the pickup will bring the return label and label the parcel when the collection takes place.