A whopping 96% of consumers state that they would shop again based on a good return experience. Providing a consumer-friendly and hassle-free return experience stimulates customer loyalty and encourages your shoppers to return to your webshop. The Sendcloud return portal has been created to provide clients with a flexible return experience, while the merchant remains in control of the entire process. In this article we will describe how your customers can create their own returns when you have activated the return portal.
Step 1: How clients can start a return
When you have activated your return portal, the link will be available to your customers via Track & Trace emails. You can also include the link to your personal return portal in the terms and conditions on your webshop or send it directly to customers who ask to initiate a return.
In the Returns portal settings, you can select the number of days in which you want to allow customers to make returns. For example, if you select 14 days, from the first day in which the parcel has the delivery status delivered, the consumer will have 14 days in which they can start a return.
When a consumer opens the return portal to issue a return, they are asked to provide their postal code and the order number or track & trace number. Once the order is retrieved, the return process can be started. The consumer can find the order number and the track & trace number in the Track & Trace emails sent after the label is created. To learn how to set up your track & trace emails.
Step 2: Items selection
In the second step, consumers can choose which products they want to return. Per item, they can choose one of the return reasons. You can choose between many return reasons to display in your return settings beforehand. In case the buyer would not be able to find a suitable return reason, he or she can select “Other” and type his or her reason in the message field that will appear below. The "Other" reason is selected by default, meaning everybody will be able to give more information on why they are returning. To learn how to set up the best return reasons for your return portal, click here.
If the consumer purchased multiple items of the same product, they can provide how many they want to return. To streamline the process, the total amount of units purchased is preselected by default.
Step 3: Refund methods
After the consumer specified which items to return, they can choose a refund method.
The refund methods that Sendcloud provides are money back, store credit or exchange.
- Money back: the consumer will expect to be refunded the cost of the items returned. The European law states that in case the entire order has been returned, the shipping costs have to be refunded as well if they have been charged at the moment of the purchase.
- Store credit: Store credit allows the buyer to order something else from your shop, without receiving cashback. In this way, the return is not a lost purchase anymore, but it becomes a new sales. Store credit can be issued through a discount code or a gift card.
- Exchange: This method allows the consumer to choose a different product in exchange. When this method is selected, a message field is displayed where the client can write what he or she would like in exchange. This information is then collected in the return details view in the Sendcloud panel. More info on how to process your returns can be found here.
Step 4: Return method
In the fourth step, consumers can select the preferred method to return the items. The return methods available are two: through a drop off point or in return in-store.
- At Drop off point or at the closest postal office:
- Return in store: by selecting this method, the consumer chooses to return his / her order in one of your stores. By selecting this method no shipping label is generated, but you still receive a confirmation of the return in the Sendcloud panel. You can create store locations in the address tab in the Sendcloud panel. Once you are there, go to the return address tab and checkmark which return address is also a store location. In case you return address differs from a store location, create a new return address follow the procedure explained here.
Step 5: Return confirmation
The fifth step represents the last step in creating a return. In this step, a summary of the procedure is displayed. In this screen, consumers can edit their choices and details. When the summary is confirmed, the return is created.
In case the consumer has chosen to return the order via mail, he or she can download the shipping label. It’s important to remember that if the consumer can’t print or download the label immediately, the label is sent via email if the return track & trace emails are activated. Learn how to activate your returns email by clicking here.
Enjoy shipping with Sendcloud!