Purpose: Learn how to process incoming returns in the Sendcloud returns overview.
Our return portal is full of benefits that will help make your return process more efficient.
- Print return labels easily: You don't have manually create each return. Customers can automatically create their returns, so all they have to do is print the label and bring their package to the selected location.
- Automatic Track & Trace: You can use the customizable track & trace emails to inform your customers about the status of their return.
- More orders: Communicate the possibilities for returning shipments clearly on your website, for example, in the footer or on a dedicated "Returns policy" page. When your customers know upfront that they can easily return an order if needed, it will drive conversion.
When a customer creates a return from the return portal it will appear in your Returns overview. The returns overview will list all the returns that have been created by your customers using the return portal. If you have enabled in-store returns in your return portal, no shipping label will be created and the return will have the status "no label".
Return details and parcel tracking
You can choose to offer free returns or charge your customers for the cost of shipping their product back to you.
How do I charge a return fee?
- Go to Settings > Returns
- Enable the Return fee checkbox if you want to inform your customer about their returns cost
- Enter an amount to charge into the box (or €0 if you want to offer free returns).
Once you've followed the steps above, your customer will see the below message when they create a return through your return portal:
If you have filled an amount (such as €5) into the return fee field, then the message above will read "€5" instead of "free". Your customer is now informed that there will be (no) costs deducted as a result of their return.
How do I refund my customer?
Once your customer has returned their products, you will need to refund them while taking into account the costs of their return parcel.
In the example below, you can see that the amount you should refund your customer is estimated (total order value + original shipping costs - return fee) / (€700 + €6.00 - €5.00 = €701.00):
Note that shipping costs do not have to be reimbursed if only part of the order is returned. If you ship an order with free shipping, you will refund the returned item minus the return fee.
Once you have refunded an return, you can mark it as refunded in your Returns overview.
Resending the return label
The customer will be prompted to download their return label as soon as they have created a return using the return portal, provided they have not chosen to return in-store. It will also be sent to them in an email.
However, if for some reason they are unable to print the return label when initially prompted, or if they can no longer locate it, you might want to resend it to your customer. To do so, simply navigate to the particular return in your Returns overview, click the eye icon to enter the return details and click the "Resend return label" button to send the label again to the customer via their email address.
Manually creating returns
The return portal can only be used for orders which have been processed through your Sendcloud platform, as the data for the return is retrieved via the original order. In some cases, you may want to create a return manually so you can handle the return parcel in Sendcloud.
Here's how to manually create a return:
- Add your client's address details to your sender addresses in your Sendcloud panel. To do this, go to Settings > Addresses > Sender addresses.
- Create a manual shipment. To do this, go to the Shipping tab at the top of your panel and then click on New shipment.
- Select the address data of this customer as the sender address at the top left and enter your own address data when creating the label.
- Create the label and send this shipping label as a PDF file to your customer so that they can physically print and stick it on their parcel.
- After creating and sending this label, we advise you to remove your customer's return address from your settings to prevent mistakes in the future.
For further questions, please contact us via the contact form within your Sendcloud panel.