Purpose: learn how to avoid unwanted UPS surcharges when your package does not meet the carrier shipping conditions.
The carrier may change the shipping prices and/or surcharges mentioned below without notice, therefore these prices may be subject to change. Even though we aim to inform you to the best of our abilities, no rights can be derived from the information provided below.
With UPS we offer three different shipping methods to choose from. Please ensure you carefully read the shipping conditions for each method, and in particular take care that your parcel falls within the maximum dimensions allowed per method:
- UPS Standard
- UPS Saver Express
- UPS Standard to Access Points
In addition, ensure that your parcel is always properly packaged according to recommendations.
Peak season surcharges
This is a flat fee that applies to all parcels during a certain time of the year, in which UPS expands its delivery network to accommodate increased shipping volume.
Effective 2 October until 14 January, we will implement a temporary peak/demand surcharge on parcels that meet specifications for the large package, over maximum limits or additional handling surcharge. This will be a flat fee per parcel in addition to existing rates, surcharges and/or fees. You can find the peak/demand surcharge rate, as well as the parcel specifications that are impacted by this surcharge, by downloading the latest Peak/Demand Surcharge information.
How can I prevent this surcharge?
- Plan your promotional campaigns before the end of the year rush.
- Postpone non-seasonal campaigns until after the peak season
For more information about shipping with UPS over the peak season, you can consult the following resources on UPS.com:
Our holiday schedule outlines the latest collection, drop-off and delivery times during the final two weeks of the year
Our days of operation page displays adjustments to our service due to national holidays
Service alerts on ups.com homepage notify you of disruptions that may impact your shipments, such as adverse weather conditions.
|Special Handling Charges||Peak Surcharge|
|Over Maximum Limits||€282.00|
A fuel surcharge applies to all parcels shipped with UPS. Click here for more information.
Volumetric weight surcharge
It's extremely important that you take the volumetric weight of your parcels into consideration when choosing from one of the above three shipping methods.
To choose the right shipping method you need to take the following calculations into account:
- Volume weight KG: LxBxH/5000
- Exact weight in KG
- Girth in cm: L+B+B+H+H
- The parcel weighs 2kg, but has a volumetric weight of 34kg
- A shipping method for a parcel size of 34kg must be chosen
- The parcel weighs 27kg, but has a volumetric weight of 8kg
- A shipping method for a parcel size of 27kg must be chosen
Surcharge for residential addresses
UPS charges an additional fee for shipments to residential addresses to the amount of €3.38. This fee also applies to shipments to businesses which are registered at a residential address.
This surcharge is in addition to the base rate when sending to residential addresses.
Additional handling costs
Additional handling fees are charged at a rate of €10.25 for the following:
- All items packed in a metal or wood outer container
- All cylindrical items, such as barrels, drums, buckets or tires that are not fully packaged in a corrugated cardboard shipping container
- All packages with the longest dimension exceeding 100cm or the second longest dimension exceeding 76cm (30 inches).
- All packages with a real weight of more than 32kg
Surcharge for large packaging - 49.60 EUR
- This surcharge will be applied for each parcel in which the length + size [(2 x width) + (2 x height)] exceeds 300 cm, but is not more than the maximum allowed UPS size of 400 cm.
- For large packages, a minimum weight of 40kg will be charged, in addition to the large package fee.
- No additional handling fee will be charged if the bulk package fee applies.
Surcharge remote area
Parcels to areas which are deemed remote or difficult to reach can receive a surcharge. For national shipments this is €0.14 per kg with a minimum of €6.62 and for international shipments this is €0.50 per kg with a minimum of €25.73.
An overview of these areas can be found here.
Surcharge shipment to UK
Following Brexit, UPS has introduced a surcharge of €4.05 per parcel for shipments with a destination to the UK.
Surcharge above the maximum limits
- An actual weight of more than 70kg; or
- With a length of more than 274cm; or
- With a total length + size [(2 x width) + (2 x height)] of more than 400 cm
...are not accepted for transportation. If they are found in the UPS system for small packages, additional costs will be charged to the amount of €212,05.
For parcels with a belt circumference (length + 2 x width + 2 x height) more than 400cm will also receive a large package surcharge.
Surcharge address correction
If you want to change an address, because it's incorrect or if you want to reroute the parcel to a different address, a fee of €8.50 will be taken into account.
Surcharge package return to sender
When a parcel can't be delivered, it'll be returned to the sender. Parcels can (in some cases) also be returned on request. When a package gets returned a surcharge (in the amount of the shipping costs) will be charged.
For additional information about the fees, please visit the UPS page below. Always read these carefully before you ship with this carrier.