Purpose: This article explains the specific laws and regulations in place for transporting dangerous goods.
All carriers must comply with the legislation concerning the shipment of hazardous substances. The rules for the transporter of dangerous goods by road are set out in a European agreement called the ADR (Accord européen relative au transport international de marchandises Dangereuses par Route).
In addition to the ADR, we must also concern ourselves with the Dutch legislation VLG (regulation for the transport of hazardous substances over land).
Types of hazardous substances
By law, it is only permitted to transport dangerous goods in maximum (substance-specific) quantities, also known as Limited Quantities (LQ). You must check with a specific carrier whether they allow for the transport of such goods. The prerequisite for sending shipments as LQ is ensuring correct packaging that is marked with a diamond-shaped logo, namely:
When one or more of the following labels (or variations thereon) are on a shipment, the shipment does not fall under LQ and cannot be transported.
Hidden hazardous substances
Common products that are dangerous that you may not expect:
- Perfume: Contains combustible solvents
- E-cigarettes and vapes: Contains toxic liquids and lithium batteries
- Fire extinguisher: Cylinder under very high pressure (risk of explosion)
- Acne cream: Contains caustic components
- Car battery: Short-circuit hazard and contains corrosive liquid
- Rum: Rum with more than 70% alcohol is a very flammable liquid
Most common errors LQ shipments:
- LQ may not be shipped in single packaging
- LQ must not exceed 5 liters / kilo per inner package (*)
- LQ may not have a hazard class label
- LQ must not weigh more than 30 kilos per outer packaging
(*) per substance and packing group there are specific maximum quantities, but never more than 5 liters / kilo
To be allowed dangerous goods and / or objects carrier according to ADR (LQ), approval must be requested from the relevant carrier. Only when the approval is issued may dangerous substances be transported. For further information please contact your carrier of choice. Sendcloud is not able to offer any shipping method or support any shipment which contains dangerous goods or hazardous substances.