Purpose: learn how to avoid unwanted PostNL surcharges when your package does not meet the carrier shipping conditions.
Surcharge not suitable / manual processing - 3.00 EUR
When a shipment meets one of the following criteria, PostNL will have to process the package manually. A surcharge is charged for this, with the designation NMG (Not Machine Suitable).
- Bigger than 100 x 70 x 58 cm but less than 175 x 78 x 58 cm
- Smaller than 10 x 10 x 1 cm
- From 23 KG up to 31.5 KG
Characteristics of the package
- Glassware, including bottles of wine (if not packaged in machine-suitable packaging) etc. or flowers.
- Laboratory samples or X-rays.
- Indications on the package mentioning 'fragile'.
- All tubes and other forms of packaging in which the label can not be processed horizontally.
- Addresses and bar codes not on the largest side of the package.
- Wood and metal, sealed packages and films (e.g. bubble wrap) or polystyrene foam.
- Two or more packages were combined into one package with tape or other binding material.
- Content is not fixed in the packaging (slides back and forth).
How can I prevent this surcharge?
To avoid this surcharge, we advise you to pay close attention to the packaging.
- Do not use round tubes
- Avoid mentions on the package (e.g. 'fragile')
- Paste the label with the barcode in a horizontal way on the longest side of the box
- Do not attach packages to each other
- Make sure there is sufficient filling (inner packaging) so that the contents do not slide back and forth
This surcharge is one of the most difficult surcharges since you have to take into account several factors. Of course it is always possible to contact us for packaging advice.
Exceeding maximum package dimensions - 75.95 EUR
If a parcel was too big and/or too heavy to be transported with the delivery van of the driver, it will be delivered through the Extra@Home network from PostNL.
A surcharge will be charged for this with the indication Surcharge for exceeding maximum dimensions.
- Bigger than 175 x 78 x 58 cm
- Heavier than 31,5 KG
How can I prevent this surcharge?
Make sure you stay well within the maximum dimensions of the carrier. A part of the box may sometimes protrude or the box may expand during transport. You can already receive a surcharge for your shipment if it is just outside the maximum dimensions.
PostNL will introduce a volume surcharge from January 2021. Research by carriers shows that half of the parcels sent consists of air. As a result, unnecessary empty space is transported. That is why they are introducing a volumetric surcharge for packages larger than 50dm³. With this, PostNL wants to reduce the empty space and thus create extra logistics capacity and at the same time reduce CO2 emissions.
|< 50 dm³||free|
|50 - 100 dm³||€ 0,50|
|100 - 200 dm³||€ 1,50|
|200+ dm³||€ 3,01|
Return to Sender
When a shipment is returned to sender, the costs are for the account of the sender. These costs will only be charged if this concerns a refusal at the door, undeliverable, incorrect address details or when a package is not picked up at the depot/service point.
The return costs are the same amount as the initial shipping costs.
Please carefully read the shipping conditions to avoid the above surcharges. Make sure that you stay well within the permitted dimensions and ensure that the packaging meets the correct criteria.