Purpose: In this article we list some 3rd party plugins and applications that you can use to ensure that your customers always enter the correct address details at checkout.
How do you validate an address?
Address validation can be completed by two means:
- Validate addresses by using a third-party service such as a webshop plugin or application
- Validate addresses by using an API
In order to see which works best for you, please do independent research, this article can only provide general recommendations unspecific to your country and shop system.
- Increased conversion, because the customer's address is automatically filled in when, for example, your customer has entered his postcode and house number.
- Higher customer satisfaction, because your customer cannot make mistakes. This way you ensure that your package is always delivered to the right address.
- Cost-saving: the chance that your package cannot be delivered has been reduced, so you have fewer returns or surcharges.
Plugins and applications
Please conduct your own research to determine what plugin will work the best for your shop system and country. Address validation software is often country-specific.
- ELEX Address Validation & Google Address Autocomplete Plugin for WooCommerce
Implementing an API
Please conduct your own research on what Address validation API you should use. These API's work by checking to see if an address is contained in an official address database. If the address that is being checked is found to exist in the official database, then that address is "valid".
- Smartstreet.com API offers international address validation with over 40+ countries and territories available.
- The Postcode.nl API allows you to validate and correct when the addresses enter the system or do it afterward. Available in The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, Austria and Switzerland.
- UPS Address Validation Application Programming Interface (API) can provide direct automated integration between your website or enterprise system and UPS. This API is available for use in over 40 countries
- DPD Validate addresses using the DPD API documentation. See 2.8.1 Validate Address Request (ValidateAddressRequest)
- Post NL offers Adrescheck Internationaal API to check international address data that is entered in your webshop or CRM. This API is only applicable for Dutch addresses.