Purpose: To inform you about the terms and conditions for Sendcloud Shipping Protection. The insurer will reimburse the sales value in addition to the shipping costs when a claim is approved. Before you send a parcel with Sendcloud Shipping Protection, please read these conditions carefully. When you apply this insurance to your shipment you automatically agree to the terms.
Sendcloud Shipping Protection
We have partnered with XCover to provide you with simple, stress-free protection for your shipment. XCover’s digital claim process is simple and hassle-free with instant payment of approved claims and their friendly support team can help you with any questions not answered in this Help Center. You can also visit XCover to find out more information.
Who is XCover?
XCover is owned by Cover Genius, a leading insurance technology firm who was recently ranked #1 in the Financial Times list of fastest-growing companies. Cover Genius has won dozens of industry awards in the US, EU, UK, Asia, India and Australia for its claims handling and customer support and has investment from one of the world’s largest insurers, Sompo. XCover's policies are backed by some of the world's largest insurance companies including Lloyd’s, Generali, Sompo, Swiss Re and Munich Re.
How to add insurance to your shipment
Add insurance manually
To insure your packages against loss or damage, edit an order in your Incoming order overview. Enter the amount of coverage you want to insure your package by in intervals of 100 euros (Max. 10.000 euros*). The price of the insurance will be reflected in the cost of the label. Press save when you are done editing the order.
Add insurance through default shipping settings
You can also opt to insure all of your packages by default. Use our How to set up your default shipping settings article to learn more about shipping default settings.
Add insurance through shipping rules
You can use shipping rules to insure your order by a set amount or by a percentage.
Insure your order by a set amount
You can use shipping rules to create a rule in which all parcels above a certain value, containing particular products or to be shipped with a specific carrier will be insured by default by a set amount.
Example: if the value of the order is between 100EUR and 200EUR, the insurance is set to 200EUR.
Insure your order by a percentage
You can also opt to set a percentage to cover the insurance of your order.
- The calculation process involves checking 'Total Item Value' first, then 'Total Shipping Value' (item value and shipping cost) if the former is empty. If both fields are empty, a percentage rule cannot be applied, as dividing by 0 always results in 0.
- If the carrier chosen for this shipment provides basic insurance, our system integrates this default insurance coverage. The field for default insurance is consistently taken into consideration in the total insurance calculation.
- If you receive 0 insurance with 'Total Shipping Value' or 'Total Item Value', it's probably due to the 'Unstamped Letter' shipping method not applying this rule.
If the issue persists for other methods, contact us: How to get support from Sendcloud.
Please read our How to create shipping rules article for more information on Shipping rules.
*Coverage limits and sub-limits:
Maximum shipment value is EUR/GBP 10.000.
Theft of parcel after documented delivery to the delivery address - EUR/GBP 1.000 per shipment
Glassware and ceramics - EUR/GBP 1.000 per shipment
LCDs, TVs, and laptops - EUR/GBP 5.000 per shipment
LCDs, TVs and laptops are not covered for damage.
LCDs, TVs, and laptops must be sent through a delivery service that requires a signature.
Jewelry - EUR/GBP 5.000 per parcel.
Jewelry must be sent through a delivery service that requires a signature and includes shipment tracking.
Jewelry must not have seller advertising on the packaging.
How do I set up my XCover account?
An XCover account is automatically created for you when you purchase XCover Protection via Sendcloud. See How to add insurance to your shipment to learn how to purchase XCover Protection for your shipment.
When you first visit XCover you will need to activate your account. Simply find the XCover confirmation SMS or email in your inbox and click on the link to set up your XCover Account. Make sure you check your spam folder if you can’t find your confirmation email. The sender of the email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Depending on how you purchased protection and what information was shared with XCover, you may be asked to choose an email address to associate with your XCover Account, which you can then use to log in.
If you have any issues you can also check the instructions within the confirmation message from XCover that was sent when you purchased your XCover Protection.
Within your XCover Account, you will see your policies. At any time you can:
- View your policy wording: this is also available when you request a quote via Sendcloud or directly on XCover
- Download your certificate and invoice
How to start a claim
The XCover claims process is quick and hassle-free, with payment or reimbursement for approved claims processed instantly. Our dedicated team at XCover aims to complete 95% of claims within 3 days of claim filing if all documents and information is present, so keep a close eye on your emails to ensure there’s no delay.
When you first visit XCover you will need to activate your account. If you haven't done so yet, see How do I set up my XCover account?
Start a claim in XCover
- Once you are in your XCover account, your policies (orders) should be visible. You can open one of the orders by click on the yellow circle with black arrow in front. Next, you click on Make a claim at the bottom of the order (see screenshot).
- Confirm the reference number (tracking number) and click on Start a new claim when you're ready.
- Fill in the required information and send your claim when you are done.
What documents do I need to make a claim?
To help us assess your claim as quickly as possible XCover may ask you - depending on the nature and amount of the claim - to share as much information with us as possible, such as:
- A detailed description of what happened
- For damaged shipments, a photo or video evidence of the damage
- For stolen shipments, we may require a copy of any written communications with the carrier
- Videos such as surveillance footage
- A police report for stolen items
- Your original shipping receipt and shipping tracking number*
- Any other supporting documents.
*To get the original pricing of your parcel, you can open the price breakdown in your Sendcloud panel by following the steps below:
- Go to Shipped (or Created Labels) in your Sendcloud account and find the parcel in question
- Open the shipping details by clicking on the eye icon
- Click on View price breakdown and share the information with XCover, so they can refund the shipping costs.
XCover requires, as a minimum, a detailed description of the event. They may request documents during the claim process (such as a police report). If required documents aren't provided to XCover, this may lead to the claim being rejected or the status change to “Pending”.
All packaging material and damaged items must be kept in the original form as received. Packaging and damaged items should not be disposed of before a claim is completed as photographs may be required. Failure to comply may result in the denial of your claim due to insufficient evidence.
When filing a claim, XCover will ask to enter the re-shipping costs. This is the amount you paid for shipping a new shipment to your customer. These costs will only be refunded if this information is entered when filing the claim, and if the shipping costs were included in the coverage amount (the insurance that was added when creating the label). Please note: the re-shipping costs cannot exceed the original shipping costs.
When do I start my claim
Please make a claim as soon as you can. XCover's claims team prioritise claims that are filed within 7 days of the claim event occurring. If there’s a cutoff for filing it will be mentioned in the policy. The biggest cause of delays is incorrect or missing paperwork, without which your claim status will be changed to “pending” or closed, depending on the time taken.
- Claims for shipments marked by the carrier as “delivered” to the delivery address but not received by the customer must be reported within 10 days from the date and time shown by the carrier as delivered.
- Claims where the status is “not delivered” must be reported no later than 30 days (60 days for international shipments) after the shipped date (courier pick up).
- Claims for damaged shipments should be reported no later than 14 days after delivery.
Where are my XCover Protection documents?
To protect your privacy, your XCover documents are not sent via mail. To view your documents, wording and invoice, you first need to log in to your XCover Account. Once you have set up your XCover Account, you can view your documents and start a claim.
What should I do if I haven’t received my documents?
It might take up to two hours to receive your confirmation via email. If you still don’t have a confirmation email and it’s not in your spam, promotions or social folders after this time has passed, feel free to reach out for help.
When does my Shipping Protection start and end?
Once enabled, your Shipping Protection begins as soon as your shipments leave its originating address. Your shipment is covered for the duration of the transit and delivery.
Your Shipping Protection ends when your shipment has been successfully delivered to the intended recipient.
What am I covered for?
Shipping Protection covers your shipments for theft, loss or damage during transit and delivery. Shipping Protection also covers return shipping costs for damaged items and re-shipping costs for stolen or lost items.
Shipping Protection covers your items until they are delivered to the intended recipient. For example, If your shipment is delivered and is subsequently stolen, it is protected.
To find out what you are and are not covered for in more detail, you can log in to your XCover Account and check your protection wording. To get started, simply find the confirmation email from XCover in your inbox and click the link to set up your XCover Account.
Laptops, televisions, jewelry, and mobile phones are covered under special conditions. To read more about the special conditions we advise you to go to the Shipping Protection Policy of XCover.
What's not covered?
Protection doesn’t extend to items that are damaged before shipment. Any duties or taxes applied to the cost of return shipping or re-shipping stolen, lost or damaged shipments are also not covered.
Depending on your protection, certain goods are also excluded. Perishable goods, antiques, vehicles, and tobacco are typically not covered. You’re also not covered for shipping any illegal items and for any associated costs.
To find out what you are and are not covered for in more detail, you can log in to your XCover Account and check your protection wording.
You're not covered if:
- If items are delayed during transit.
- If you provide inaccurate, dishonest or misleading information to XCover, or the administrator or the merchant.
- If your items are damaged before the shipment has left for transit.
- For any duties or taxes applied to the cost of “return shipping” or “re-shipping” stolen, lost or damaged items.
- For any items listed below:
- Cash, bullion, securities and cash-like instruments and credit cards.
- Antiques and artwork.
- Arms, ammunition, military equipment and any similar items.
- Motor vehicles including cars and motorcycles.
- Treasury notes and bonds, deeds, manuscripts, documents of any nature, and stamps.
- CBD, tobacco and tobacco substitute products
- Computer chips, CPUs and circuit boards.
- Furs, skins, hides, plants, animals, perishable items and other temperature-sensitive goods.
- Precious metals and stones (such as high value jewellery; like rings with stones)
- Hazardous, restricted or controlled items.
- For costs resulting from the items being ineligible for shipping according to the terms and conditions of our partner.
- If your items are lost because an incorrect address was entered for the intended recipient.
- If you ship anything illegal (such as contraband items).
- For any loss in weight or volume, or wear and tear of the shipment.
- For any claims arising from IT or electronic risks.
- If you’ve packed the item in an unsuitable or improper way.
- For any mechanical, electrical and/or electronic breakdown, failure and/or derangement of items unless there is evidence that the loss occurred during transit.
- If there's insufficient evidence that a loss to the items occurred during the transit.
- For any claims caused by or related to war, strikes, or terrorism.
- For claims caused by or arising in any way from:
- Rust, oxidation or any discoloration.
- Marring, chipping, denting, scratching.
- Inherent vice, mold and mildew, or infestation.
- Electrical, electronic and/or mechanical derangement.
- Radioactive, toxic, explosive or hazardous matter.
- Any weapon or device employing atomic or nuclear fission and/or fusion.
- Any chemical, biological, bio-chemical or electromagnetic weapon.
- Indirect or consequential damages or losses.
- The geographical locations of Afghanistan, Burundi, Chad, Djibouti, Guinea (Republic of), Gulf of Aden, Gulf of Guinea, Iraq, Israel, Kenya, Libya, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, Russia, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Ukraine, Yemen.
Sendcloud Shipping Protection in combination with carrier insurance
Carrier insurance and Sendcloud Shipping Protection have different conditions. Carriers work with the purchase value, where Shipping Protection works with the sales value. In order to help you understand how a combination of these two works, please take a look at the examples below.
|Carrier insurance €200||Purchase value €150|
|Shipping Protection €400||Sales value €580|
|Total insurance: €600|
|Carrier insurance €200||Purchase value €150|
|Shipping Protection €500||Sales value €580|
|Total insurance: €700|
The insurance reimbursement can't exceed the sales value of €580. Meaning that if the carrier already reimburses €150, Sendcloud Shipping Protection can only reimburse €430.
FAQ: Apple Account or iCloud email address
I bought my protection using my Apple Account or iCloud email address. How do I activate my XCover Account?
Apple has a few extra security features for users including ‘Hide My Email’ and Private Relay that may impact the way you log in or use XCover.
If you choose to ‘Sign in with Apple’ when purchasing protection as part of your Sendcloud purchase, you may be given the option to hide your email address. If you use Apple’s Hide My Email feature, or you sign up using an iCloud email address, your email address is not shared with XCover and there may be a few extra steps to set up your XCover Account. To check Apple’s Hide My Email settings on your Apple Account, follow these instructions.
This means you may not be able to log in to XCover with your usual email address and some customers are blocked from receiving any emails from XCover. You will need those emails in order to set up your XCover Account and submit a claim.
I can’t find any emails from XCover
If you made your initial purchase on the XCover website or app using Apple’s Hide My Email feature or an iCloud email address and can’t find any emails from XCover, please contact XCover’s friendly Support Team and include the first and last name used and the booking time, date and timezone.
To activate your XCover Account
When you first visit XCover you will need to activate your account. Simply find the XCover confirmation SMS or email in your inbox and click the link to set up your XCover Account.
Make sure you check your spam folder if you can’t find your confirmation email. Once you have clicked the link in the confirmation email, you will need to nominate a personal email address to associate with your XCover Account, which you can then use to log in.
Once you have set up your XCover Account, you should be able to easily log in, view your policy documents, make changes and start a claim.
Apple also has a Privacy feature that gives you additional privacy when browsing the web in Safari. This feature is available on all Apple devices for iCloud + users and is enabled or disabled from your Settings.
While Private Relay offers additional privacy, it can also make it difficult for XCover to help you if you need assistance in case of an emergency as it can hide your location. You can turn off Apple Privacy or view your settings at any time.
What happens to my parcels that were already insured by Insureship?
We will cease insuring parcels through Insureship on June 4th 2023. However, all Insureship claims can still be filed after that date by creating a ticket within your Sendcloud panel.