Purpose: Learn how to import HS Codes from your Shopify integration to Sendcloud, so they will be automatically included on customs documentation for international shipments.
Add your product details in Shopify
When you import your products into Shopify, make sure that the following data is correctly added to each product. You can learn more about adding product details in Shopify's Help Center.
In order for Sendcloud to import product details correctly, ensure you've filled in the following for each product:
- Description: The description for your product.
- Quantity: The number of products in the order.
- Weight: Weight of the product (to enable customs authorities to validate the contents of the shipment, and for determining shipping methods).
- Value: The price that you're charging for the product.
- HS code: If you want to ship the product internationally, then enter the harmonized system (HS) tariff code. These codes allow customs authorities to determine the correct tariff to apply to the products. You can find the HS code for your product by searching using a keyword in the HS code field of the product details page. For more details about HS codes, read our article about How to ship internationally with Sendcloud.
- Country of origin: The country where the product was manufactured or assembled. If the product consists of materials from different countries or regions, then the country or region where it takes its essential form is the country or region of origin. Different countries or regions and international treaties have different rules of origin.
You must individually set the HS code and country of origin for each product in Shopify for Sendcloud to be able to correctly import this information. Once this has been completed, the information will be imported automatically for international orders (shipments to destinations outside the EU). It's still possible to manually edit and correct information for individual orders in Sendcloud.
Note: The Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System, generally referred to as "Harmonized System" or simply "HS", is a multipurpose international product nomenclature developed by the World Customs Organization (WCO).
Shopify API Users
- If you are using the Shopify API, ensure you set the correct permissions for sharing inventory items.
- To access the Sendcloud API, ensure that you have set the Shopify access_scopes to read_inventory and write_inventory. See here for Shopify's documentation on access scopes.