The insurer will reimburse the purchase value in addition to the shipping costs when a claim is approved. Before you send a parcel with Sendcloud Insurance make sure you have read the Terms and Conditions carefully. When you apply this insurance to your shipment, you automatically agree with these conditions.
ATTENTION: COVID-19 INTERNATIONAL CLAIM NOTICE
The impact of COVID-19 is causing local, state and national governments around the world to issue work and travel restrictions daily, which are impacting the ability for carriers to meet their standards of service. Most carriers have already removed their guaranteed delivery service, and many have declared Force Majeure in anticipation of the delivery delays that are affecting shipping timeframes. We expect most packages to arrive and are seeing deliveries occurring within 6 to 10 weeks from the original ship date. Delays are being further compounded by the increased demand despite the reduced capacity available for transportation due to flight cancellations by passenger and cargo planes. This is causing a high instance of claim filings for lost parcels that are in fact delayed.
What does this affect?
March, April, May and June shipments shipped internationally.
What does this mean for me?
International claims for lost parcels will require a wait period of 55 days from the date of shipment before filing a claim. Claims for damage, shortage or lost packages showing delivery can be processed as normal within our normal timeframe. We will continue to monitor the ongoing impact of COVID-19 on the carrier services to ensure the best service possible for our customers.
Due to the dynamic nature of the ongoing COVI-19 situation, information is subject to change.
How to insure your packages
To insure your packages against loss or damage, edit an order in your incoming order overview by clicking the pen icon. Enter the amount of coverage you want to insure your package by in intervals of 100 euros. The price of the insurance will be reflected in the cost of the label. Press save when you are done editing the order.
Set up default insurance on all of your packages
You can also opt to insure all of your packages by default. Click here for our article on setting up shipping defaults.
You can also use shipping rules to create a rule in which all parcels above a certain value, containing particular products or to be shipped with a specific carrier will be insured by default by a set amount. Click here for our article on how to create shipping rules.
When choosing your packaging please bear in mind that your parcel will travel alongside large numbers of other parcels and will be automatically sorted via machines and conveyor belts.
Packages are stacked in containers both on top of, and against each other, therefore it is very important that your package is well protected. The package must be able to withstand a fall of 100 cm, regardless of whether it comes falls on a corner or the flat edge of the box.The package must also be resistant to rain, wind, snow and other forms of precipitation and atmospheric pressure differences.
Make sure your package is packed in a new, shockproof and sturdy box (fitted to the inner contents), with suitable filling material to ensure the contents do not slide around during transport. Select your packaging according to the fragility, weight and size of your contents to ensure it can be delivered on time and undamaged.
General Guidelines for packaging
We have written an article on packaging best practices which you can find here. These are our guidelines only - we always strongly suggest you consult the guidelines set out by your chosen carrier in addition to our tips and tricks.
Please refer to the guidelines set by your carrier:
|Poste Italiane||Poste Italiane|
- Use a new box that has not been affected by previous use. The original packaging from the manufacturer is also affected by previous use. Often they have been designed for storage and not for shipping purposes.
- Carefully close the box with heavy-duty tape (preferably reinforced) and apply at least three strips on both the top and the bottom of the box so that the middle seam and side seams are closed in a "H" shape.
- Make sure the goods inside have enough room and the boxes are not bulging.
- Are you using packaging film? Then make sure that the area around the parcel label is smooth and that there is no print on it.
- Is the box larger than the article? Always fill the space around the item completely. Use soft filling material for light goods and stronger filling material for heavier items. This will ensure the correct protection and prevent the items from shifting in the packaging. Allow for a buffer between the box contents and the sides of the box.
- Only use protective material with a high density to fill the box and to protect the contents. Foam flakes and crumpled paper are not suitable because they are flattened under weight. Custom made corrugated board or special polystyrene inserts work better and also provide more stiffness to the outer box.
- Ensure that the recipient’s address is marked fully and clearly on the packaging. For express deliveries at home and abroad, also add the telephone number to the recipient’s address.
Labeling and declaration of goods
- Having a label that describes the contents of the package is not mandatory. The responsibility for packaging (inside and outside packaging) and labeling of the packages as well as providing documentation regarding the contents of packages, in accordance with the requirements, rests solely with the sending party.
- Make sure you put the parcel label on the largest surface of the parcel. Do not stick any other stickers over the parcel label.
- The parcel should be clearly legible and the barcode should be scannable.
Claiming for a lost shipment
For a lost shipment, the insuree must wait ten (10) days within Europe from the last electronic scan by the carrier to submit a claim. For shipments outside of Europe this is fifteen (15) days from the last electronic scan. For shipments that have not been scanned by the carrier, the insured person must wait up to fifteen (15) days for submitting a claim for shipments within Europe, for shipments outside Europe twenty (20) days apply. This is to give the carrier sufficient time to deliver the shipment.
When a package is not traceable but has been lost by the carrier, the insured must be able to hand over a pick-up report (can be made from your Sendcloud account) or proof of delivery to the post office ( the pick-up report may be used). If this can not be provided, the claim will be rejected as it would no be possible to prove that the package was actually delivered to the transporting party.
Claiming for a damaged shipment
If the damage is caused when delivering a package, the damage must be reported within 14 days after receiving the shipment. If the damage is reported after the 14th day, the claim is rejected by the insurer.
A damaged shipment can only be claimed once it is returned to the sender. If the damaged shipment is held by the addressee and a claim is submitted, it will be rejected.
The repair costs incurred for the damaged shipment by the sender can be claimed.
For additional inspection, the insurance company can request the damaged item, of course the shipping costs will also be reimbursed. So make sure you keep the item until the claim is completed.
All claims must be submitted in full within ninety (90) days of shipment in order to be honored. The insured person sends a completed claim form via his/her Sendcloud account. From there you select the parcel you want to open a claim for and you select one of the options from the bottom right button "Get help" as shown below:
When submitting a claim, you need the following information:
- original purchase invoice from the shipper
- copy of the original invoice from the sender to the recipient
- picture of the package with a visible shipping label
- photo of the content of the package (in case of damage to the shipment, 5 photos of the damage)
- photo of any damage incurred (in case of damage to the shipment)
- a written declaration from the recipient that the package has not been received or has been damaged
Documents for loss: pick-up report, proof of delivery at the post office, proof of receipt that the shipment has not been delivered, and the invoices as described in claims. Mediation costs and insurance costs are not covered by insurance.
Overall claim reporting
All claims must be filed within ninety (90) days of shipment to be honored. The insuree will submit a completed claim form, copy of the original purchase invoice and retail invoice, an affidavit (an e-mail stating the loss/damage of the parcel will be sufficient) from the intended recipient, proof of damage if applicable and any additional documentation requested to substantiate the loss. Coverage does not include handling fees and insurance fees. All damaged property for which payment (not repair costs), or replacement costs have been made, must, on request, be returned to the sender. Failure to hold the damaged property until the claim is fully resolved will result in the claim's being denied. The sender always needs a proof of damage or loss that has to be handed over to the insurance.
With the exception of insurance
The following items and / or products are excluded from the insurance (unless endorsed in writing):
- Flowers and plants
- Fine art
- Cotton (in its processed / unprocessed form)
- Fresh foods*
- Live animals
- Loose precious stones and metals
- Securities and other negotiable papers
- Personal good
- Bulk products
- Laptop computers
- Computer chips and similar memory devices
- Mobile Phones
*Regarding the shipping of food items: only food items that are considered to be shelf-stable are insurable. Any product which falls outside of this term is not insurable through your Sendcloud insurance policy. Shelf-stable foods are determined to be foods which can safely shit on a pantry shelf for at least one year and do not have to be cooked or refrigerated before safe consumption. Coverage for shelf-stable food items only protects against loss or damage during transit. Any damage caused due to temperature or humidity changes, or carrier delay which results in spoilage, is not covered.
Countries that are excluded from insurance:
- Afghanistan, Angola, Bolivia, Burma, Iran, Iraq, Congo, Ivory Coast, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Nigeria, North Korea, Paraguay, Somalia, Syria, Zimbabwe, Russia, Ukraine.
*Any other country that is or may become Embargoed by the United States or United Nations as sanctioned by the Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC).
The insurance is made possible by Online Shipping Insurance Services Inc. They assess the claims submitted by the Sendcloud users. Sendcloud can not be held responsible or legally responsible for the outcome of a claim.
If you have any additional questions about the insurance, let us know via the contact form .