Purpose: Learn how to enable pickup returns so you can arrange to have a carrier collect a return parcel directly from your customer.
What are pickup returns?
A pickup return is a return method you can offer to your customers through the Return portal. Once enabled, customers will be able to request a carrier collect a parcel directly from their address to return to you. Your customers can easily arrange a pickup themselves via the Return portal.
The pickup return feature allows you to go the extra mile for your customers who can't easily access a parcel shop, or for parcels which are too large to return easily. Your customer doesn't even need to print out the return label - the driver who collects the return parcel will label it on their behalf.
Which carriers support pickup returns?
At the current time, we only support pickup returns for GLS NL and DHL Express NL who have a direct carrier contract with the carrier. Over time, we will be adding more carrier options to support this method.
Once a pickup is arranged, the scheduled collection will take place the next working day between 9:00-19:00. Pickup only possible on weekdays. It's not possible to cancel a pickup via the Sendcloud panel - create a support request if you wish to cancel a pickup.
Cut-off time: 23:59 UK time
Available shipping methods:
- Evri C2C Collection Return Two Day 0-15kg
How can I enable pickup returns in my account?
- In your Sendcloud account, go to Settings > Returns
- Under the section Return method, tick the box Arrange a pick-up
- Scroll down to the section Enabled carriers and ensure you select a carrier which supports pickup returns (GLS NL, DHL Express NL, CTT Express)*
How can my customer request a pickup return?
If you have already activated your Return portal, customers will be able to select pickup return as a return option once they have entered their tracking number/order number and postcode and selected a return reason. You can find out more about how customers can make returns here.
- In the Return portal, select Arrange a pick-up from the list of options in the section How would you like to return
- On the Summary page, click Confirm
- The customer will see a Success page and receive an email confirmation which will confirm the pickup date (next working day).
- The pickup will now be scheduled for collection the next working day (GLS NL, DHL Express NL) (if scheduled before 17:00) between 9:00-17:00 and returned to the sender address. Once the pickup is confirmed, a more accurate pickup time will be communicated by the carrier by email to your customer.
- It's not necessary for your customer to print out the return shipping label when they schedule a return pickup GLS NL or CTT Express. The driver who will perform the pickup will bring the return label and label the parcel when the collection takes place. When you ship with DHL Express NL, we advise to put the label in the box of the outgoing shipment or send the client a PDF with a return label via email at a later time.
How can I cancel a pickup return?
You must cancel the pickup return before 5pm on the same day as you book the return. The return will take place the following day, therefore any cancellations received after this time will not be received by GLS and the pickup return will still take place and you will still be charged.
- In the Sendcloud panel, go to the Returns tab
- Locate your pickup return in the list of return labels
- Select the return in the list and click the Cancel returns button:
Q: Can I cancel a pickup?
A: If your customer wants to cancel a return, you can easily cancel it on their behalf provided you do so before 5pm on the day of booking. This is because the pickup will take place on the next working day from when it is scheduled. Once cancelled, you will receive an email from the carrier to schedule a new pickup. It's not possible to change
Q: Can my customer cancel a pickup?
A: Only you can cancel a pickup, either through the Sendcloud panel or by contacting the carrier directly. This must be done before 5pm on the day you book the pickup return.
Q: Can I change the time of a pickup once it's been scheduled?
A: Unfortunately not. You can only cancel a pickup completely, and then book a new one for the correct time.
Q: What happens if the customer if not home when the carrier arrives to complete the pickup?
A: You will be charged for the failed pickup. The customer will receive an email to make a new appointment. You will also be charged for any new pickup the customer books.